Lip injections are a dermal filler applied to or around your mouth, which creates a pillowy, pouty, or plump, youthful appearance. Some fillers are used on the skin around your mouth, while others are injected into your lips.
Most fillers used now are hyaluronic acid fillers, which create a more even appearance that lasts longer, but some are still based in collagen. Talk to Cosmetica’s aestheticians and specialists about lip fillers in Boca Raton, Florida, that suit you.
What Are Lip Injections?
Plump, kissable lips are almost everywhere right now. Instagram, fashion magazines, and online ads all feature models and influencers with fuller lips. Of course, some people are born with naturally fuller lips, but for many of the trendsetters you see now, lip fillers are the simple, nonsurgical way they get beautiful, shapely lips.
Lip fillers are a type of dermal filler, an injectable cosmetic product that plumps soft tissues in the face, like your lips, under eyes, chin, and skin around the nose for a few months. These fillers can reduce the appearance of wrinkles and improve skin tone by replacing collagen that gets lost as you age.
Most injectables are made with hyaluronic acid,a natural substance found in the body. Collagen injections might also be used, but these are less common.
Hyaluronic fillers are becoming more popular because they can improve:
Hyaluronic acid leaves fewer lumpy or bumpy areas, and those that do occur tend to even out in a few days. Comparatively, collagen injections can clump in certain areas, leaving an uneven lip. These improvements can occur in your lips and other areas of your face.
There are several products on the market, with different prices and slightly different lengths of effectiveness. A cosmetic specialist with Cosmetica in Boca Raton, Florida, can help you determine which lip injections might suit your needs the most.
Best Lip Filler Products in 2021
Although many lip fillers available now have consistent, high-quality results, and they all last on average around six months, there can be some significant differences between products that might determine which one is best for you. Here are some of the best lip injections you can find in Boca Raton right now:
- Bellafill: This is a type of lip filler that stimulates collagen to grow longer term, potentially maintaining your appearance for up to five years. Unlike many popular lip fillers, Bellafill uses polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) microspheres, suspended in collagen gel.
- Belotero: This lip filler brand has a range of products that focus on different rheological properties, which are cohesivity, plasticity, and elasticity. It is important to maintain a balance of these properties with lip injections to avoid lumps, tautness, loss of movement, or loss of feeling.
- Juvederm: For the full “Kylie Jenner lip,” a larger pillowy lip, Juvederm’s fillers are considered the best. This is one of the most popular brands of lip injection because of the noticeable plush effect. One type, Juvederm Volbella, works especially well to smooth skin and wrinkles around the lips, and to create a more defined lip line.
- Restylane: Even if you want fuller lips, you may not want it to be incredibly obvious. Rather than walking out of the clinic with noticeably full lips that your friends might comment on, Restylane has smaller particles that plump the lips a little less and at a slower pace. Your friends might think you look more rested or happier without realizing it is a lip filler.
- Sculptra: Although Sculptra can enhance the appearance of the lips, injectables are often used around the mouth rather than directly to plump the lips. These fillers can reduce smile and frown lines, chin wrinkles, and “marionette lines,” which then draws attention to your mouth rather than to your skin. Sculptra replaces collagen slowly over time.
All About Lip Fillers: Are They Safe? How Long Do They Last?
Lip fillers last, on average, between six months and a year, with the effects fading after the initial injections. Although there is not much you can do to enhance the effect of lip fillers or make them last longer, they are very safe products. You can typically go in for another injection after the original one wears off.
Talk to one of the cosmetic specialists at Cosmetica to learn more about how long our lip fillers last, including how your age and metabolism might affect their duration.
Some cosmetic specialists recommend that you do not use the whole syringe of lip filler during your appointment. This can reduce some side effects, but it can also allow you to have plumper lips for longer, as you can return in about two or three weeks for a small “refill.” This will also increase the plumpness of your lips. Living with slightly less plump lips for a couple weeks can help you get used to their new shape and decide if you want a little more enhancement.
If, for any reason, you are unhappy with the size or shape of your lips after getting lip filler, you can return to your cosmetic specialist and have the lip filler dissolved. Unlike collagen fillers, hyaluronic acid-based fillers can be swiftly and safely removed with an injection of hyaluronidase, an enzyme your body quickly metabolizes.
The only thing to avoid after your lip injections is aspirin, a type of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDs), which can have some blood thinning effects. There is no danger if you do take aspirin, but you are more likely to develop significant bruising on your lips around the injection site, and you may have slightly less full lips after the injection.
Otherwise, you can take painkillers that do not thin your blood, like ibuprofen, to manage the immediate effects of the injections. You can even go celebrate on the town with your friends and have a nice cocktail or glass of champagne!
What Does Lip Filler Cost?
You should schedule a consultation with a Cosmetica specialist with an idea of how plump you would like your lips, and assess if you mind others noticing the change in your lips. Some people do not realize how significant the difference can be once they go for lip fillers. People might comment on the change, and whether you are okay with this can determine which lip filler you receive. Your cosmetic specialist will also look at your face structure to determine the type of lip filler that would work best for you.
Lip fillers can be expensive, typically ranging from $300 to $2,000 per injection. More expensive injections are likely to last longer, compared to less expensive ones, but you may want to try something less expensive first to see if you like the result.
One injection that is evenly spread between both your lips is typically enough to create the fullness you want. Any corrections, including dissolving the lip filler, are at no cost. You will see immediate results that enhance the beauty of your smile.
Nine Things I Wish I’d Known Before Getting Lip Injections. (August 2021). Glamour.
FDA-Approved Dermal Fillers. (November 2020). United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Everything You Need to Know Before Getting Lip Fillers. (April 2017). Cosmopolitan.
Using the Belotero Range. (July 2020). Aesthetics Journal.
Restylane Silk. RestylaneUSA.